1930 Auburn 8-125 Convertible Sedan Stunning Restoration AACA/CCCA Senior
The Auburn was a stylish domestic Automobile produced from 1900 to 1936. It grew out of the Eckhart Carriage Company, founded in Auburn, Indiana, in 1875 by Charles Eckhart (1841–1915). Eckhart's sons, Frank and Morris, began making automobiles on an experimental basis before entering the business in earnest, absorbing two other local carmakers and moving into a larger plant in 1909. The enterprise was modestly successful until materials shortages during WWI forced the plant to close.
In 1919, the Eckhart brothers sold out to a group of Chicago investors. The new owners revived the business but failed to realize the profits that they hoped for. In 1924, they approached Errett Lobban Cord (1894–1974), a highly successful automobile salesman, with an offer to run the company. Cord countered with an offer to take over completely in what amounted to a leveraged buyout. The Chicago group accepted.
Cord aggressively marketed the company's unsold inventory and completed his buyout before the end of 1925. In 1926, he purchased Duesenberg Corporation, famous for its racing cars, and used it as the launching platform for a line of high-priced luxury vehicles. He also put his own name on a front-wheel-drive car, the L-29 Cord.
Employing imaginative designers such as Alan Leamy and Gordon Buehrig, Cord built cars that became famous for their advanced engineering as well as their striking appearance, e.g., the 1928 Auburn Boattail Speedster, the Model J Duesenbergs, the 1935–1937 Auburn Speedsters and the 810/812 Cords.
The company's art deco headquarters in Auburn now houses the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum. It was made a National Historic Landmark in 2005. The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club holds an Annual Renuion every Labor Day at Auburn Indiana, and this has become one of the premier gatherings of collector cars and enthusiasts in the Country.
This extremely rare 8-125 Convertible Sedan is one of few known to survive by ACD Historians. The car has a known history from new having been ordered originally by a speakeasy owner in Wisconsin. Upon his demise in 1954 the car passed to his executor and then to his paperboy, who of course had matriculated by then. The car bounced around the Midwest including a stint in the collection of C.D. McClary here in Indy before finding a home with its current caretaker who purchased the car in 1968. At that time the car had 46,000 miles on the OD and the Seller used the car regularly on Sunny days for many years before deciding to have the car professionally restored in the late 90's.
The car made it's after restoration Debut at the 2000 Pebble Beach Concours in the very difficult Early Open Classic Class. Since restoration, the car has been used sparingly but is always kept in top running condition. Desiring to get the car out into the public eye again the car was campaigned at various Club Events since 2015 garnering a CCCA Senior First, an ACD Senior First, Best Auburn and Best of Show at the ACD West Coast Meet, and AACA First Senior in 2018- in fact the car has been nominated for National AACA awards twice in the past 5 years. It just won another First in AACA and was nominated yet again for a National Award.
Fully Restored to a very high standard, the car is well known in the ACD Club and is in turnkey condition. Featuring Dual Side Mounted Spares, Wire Wheels, Stone Guard, and proper Steel Trunk, and High Speed Gears this car has it all! The Paint, Chrome Top and Interior all are excellent show quality condition, you can immediately enter this car in any show and be proud to stand next to it. Finished in a very striking color combination, and in excellent running and driving order, this car is the perfect car for the enthusiast looking to get one of Auburn's finest designs. The car is ACD Certified.