1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe Station Wagon, Exceptional Example-Original Wood
The Plymouth De Luxe and Special De Luxe were full-sized automobiles which were produced by American manufacturer Plymouth during the 1933-42 and 1946-50 model years. The Plymouth Deluxe Model PD appeared in 1933, shortly after the Plymouth Six Model PC which was the company's first six-cylinder automobile but offered a 107 "in wheelbase versus 112" for the De Luxe. It was an upscale alternative to the Plymouth Six (1933-1934), Business Six (1935-1938) and Roadking (1938-1940). In 1941, the Roadking name was dropped for the low trim Plymouths, which were referred as P11 and not renewed in 1942, making the De Luxe, the entry level. Between 1941 and 1950, the De Luxe was offered in two trim levels, the De Luxe and the top-of-the-line Special De Luxe. The engine in 1946 was a 95 bhp 217.8 cu in Plymouth Straight Six.
This exceptional example sports many original features including 99.5% of the wood and the entire interior. The only piece of wood that has been replaced in the body is a very small section at the bottom of the pillar on the drivers side- see photo-the rest is as it left the USHCO body plant in Frankfort IN. The Paint and Brightwork have been restored and are in excellent condition, with no flaws noted. The engine bay and undercarriage are nicely detailed and really up to top show standards. The interior is in exceptional original condition with a beautifully woodgrained dash, Art Deco gauge clusters with all gauges working, and only a couple of seam separations on the original upholstery. The wood framing on the ceiling is truly something to behold, with excellent finish quality. The car is nicely equipped with Radio, Heater, Driving Lights, and Auxilliary Turn Signals. Everything works in the car including the illuminated Mascot. The car runs and drives very very well, and can be immediately enjoyed and driven with confidence.
The USHCO Body plant that built these bodies for Plymouth was located in Frankfort, Indiana, where tie car is now located, and the car is accompanied by many period photographs of the plant and the bodies being built there-copies of which will be supplied to the new owner. The car has a extensive file of records and a few boxes of spares as well as some original rubber parts that were replaced with new ones.
This is truly one of the nicest Woodies we have encountered. This is a rare opportunity to acquire a well documented and original Woody that as welcome on the Show Field as it is at your local cruise in.