MG got its name from "Morris Garages", a dealer of Morris cars in Oxford which began producing its own customized versions to the designs of Cecil Kimber who had joined the company as its Sales Manager in 1921 and was promoted to General Manager in 1922. Kimber remained as General Manager until 1941 when he fell out with Lord Nuffield over procuring wartime work. Kimber died in 1945 in a freak railway accident. There is some debate over when MG started. The company itself stated it to be 1924, although the first cars bore both Morris and MG badges and a reference to MG with the octagon badge appears in an Oxford newspaper from November 1923. Others dispute this and believe that MG only properly began trading in 1925.
The first cars which were rebodied Morris models using coachwork from Carbodies of Conventry and were built in premises in Alfred Lane, Oxford but demand soon caused a move to larger premises in Bainton Road in September 1925 sharing space with the Morris radiator works. Continuing expansion meant another move in 1927 to a separate factory in Edmund Road, Cowley, Oxford, near the main Morris factory and for the first time it was possible to include a production line. In 1928 the company had become large enough to warrant an identity separate from the original Morris Garages and the M.G. Car Company Limited was established in March of that year and in October for the first time a stand was taken at the London Motor Show.
Space again soon ran out and a search for a permanent home led to the lease of part an old leather factory in Abington, Oxfordshire in 1929,gradually taking over more space until production ended there in 1980. The earliest model, the 1924 MG 14/28 consisted of a new sporting body on a Morris Oxford chassis. This car model continued through several versions following the updates to the Morris. The first car which can be described as a new MG, rather than a modified Morris was the 18/80 of 1928 which had a purpose designed chassis and the first appearance of the traditional vertical MG grille. A smaller car was launched in 1929 with the first of a long line of Midgets starting with the M Type based on a 1928 Morris Minor chassis. MG established a name for itself in the early days of the sport of international automobile racing.
Beginning before and continuing after World War II, MG produced a line of cars known as the T-Series Midgets which, post-war, were exported worldwide, achieving better than expected success. These included the MG TC, MG TD, and MG TF, all of which were based on the pre-war MG TB, with various degrees of updating.
This exceptional MGTF has an interesting story. The car was stored for over 40 years in a furniture warehouse and the mileage is original. The car is largely an original car with sympathetic restoration work after acquisition and presents in top show quality standards. The striking color combination perfectly compliments the lines of this sporting car. The TF is the most advanced T Series MG and includes nice suspension upgrades that would find their way into the A. If you want the jocular looks of a T with the drivability of an A, the TF is your choice! This car runs very very strong- it starts right up, runs smooth, shifts and stops well. The car is complete with a full tonneau cover. This is a turnkey car ready for the show or touring circuit. The car is complete with all tools, books, and extensive documentation.