1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille 22k Original Miles,1 Owner, Fully Recommissioned
The first Cadillac "Coupe de Ville" was shown during the 1949 Motorama. It was built on a Cadillac Sixty Special chassis and featured a dummy air-scoop, chrome trim around front wheel openings, and a one-piece windshield and rear glass. The interior was black and trimmed in gray leather, including the headliner, to match the roof color. It was equipped with a telephone in the glove compartment, a vanity case and a secretarial pad in the rear armrest, power windows and highly decorative chrome interior trim. The prototype "Coupe de Ville" was used by GM President Charles E. Wilson until 1957 when he presented it to his secretary. At some time during this period it acquired a dark Vicodec roof. The prototype "Coupe de Ville" was found and restored in the 2nd decade of the New Millennium; it is currently in a private collection in Canada. The name "DeVille" is derived from the French de la ville or de ville meaning "of the town" , The Cadillac Series 62 Coupe de Ville was introduced late in the 1949 model year. Along with the Buick Roadmaster Riviera, and the Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, it was among the first pillarless hardtop coupes ever produced. At US $3,496 it was only a dollar less than the Series 62 convertible, and like the convertible, it came with power windows standard. It was luxuriously trimmed, with leather upholstery and chrome 'bows' in the headliner to simulate the ribs of a convertible top.
The Fourth generation Coupe DeVille-which ran from 1971 to 1976 is the last of the big cars produced by GM. The new GM full-size bodies, at 64.3 inches front shoulder room (62.1 inches on Cadillac) and 63.4 inches rear shoulder room (64.0 inches on Cadillac) set a record for interior width that would not be matched by any car until the full-size GM rear-wheel-drive models of the early to mid-1990s. in 1974 A new option package was a fully padded Cabriolet roof treatment. It incorporated a landau-style top with bright metal forward divider strip. Styling changes for 1975 brought dual rectangular headlamp lenses flanked by rectangular cornering lights wrapped around squared-off front fenders, formerly Domestic cars were federally limited to round headlights. That regulation was finally repealed and GM introduced rectangular headlights on many of its models. New standard equipment included front fender lamp monitors, power door locks, high energy ignition, steel-belted radial whitewall tires. The 210 hp 500 V8 replaced the 472 as the standard engine. New hinged door pull handles replaced the old door pull straps for 1975 and 1976. In 1976, the grille saw a new and finer crosshatching pattern. Cornering lamps received new horizontal silver trim; taillamp bezels also gained new chrome-like trim. Eight different color accent stripes were available. Vinyl tops were now integral padded Elk grain material. The fifth generation of big GM cars was considerably downsized due to increasing foriegn competition and the rising fuel costs caused by the Arab Oil Embargo.
This 1 owner 22,000 Original Mile car was purchased new at Curry Bros in Bloomington, Indiana for use by the owner's wife-who primarily drove the car to church on Sundays. She passed away a few years later and the car was kept garaged and used sparingly. It was passed to his daughter, who again kept the car garaged and used it very sparingly. We purchased the car from her estate and recommissioned the car mechanically including getting the radiator recored, all fluids flushed and changed, new rear bumper trim, and new tires. The car runs and drives very well and really needs nothing to be immediately enjoyed. It cruises down the road with the smoothness of magic carpet.
Finished in a very desirable color combination, this car represents a rare opportunity to acquire a completely original, low mile, well kept car that represents the hubris of the 70's like few cars can.